Xylitol Poisoning

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used in candy and chewing gum. It is also found in some pharmaceuticals and oral health products such as chewable vitamins and throat lozenges.

While Xylitol is safe for humans, it can be harmful to dogs. The compound doesn't affect glucose levels in people, but when ingested by dogs it can cause a dangerous surge of insulin. (In as little as 15 minutes,the blood sugar of a dog that has eaten gum containing Xylitol may register a marked drop in blood sugar.) At higher doses, Xylitol is believed toxic to the canine liver.

A dog that has eaten an item containing Xylitol can be rapidly hit by a dangerous drop in blood sugar that causes weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination, collapse, and seizures. Those symptoms can develop within 30 minutes, and a dog so afflicted will need immediate veterinary treatment to survive. Without help, irreversible brain trauma occurs and the patient dies.

More information.

Forever Homes Needed

german shepherd rescue dogsWe have lots of gorgeous German Shepherds waiting to be adopted.

Complete our Adoption Form if you would like to adopt one of the dogs on our site.

Foster Homes Needed

german shepherd adoption1

If you can offer a warm, loving foster home please get in touch.

German Shepherds don't do well in kennels, we would love to have warm foster homes to offer instead of cold concrete kennels. ALL food and expenses will be covered by the rescue.

Success Stories

german shepherd rescue2We love to get pictures and follow-up stories from our families when they adopt a dog from German Shepherd Rescue Scotland.

You can see some of our adopted German Shepherds on our Success Stories page.